It's been a while, friends...I'll explain my recent absence more later (spoiler altert: it's really not that interesting). But I thought I'd post this, cos when Peter Gammons talks, I still listen.
Gammons was asked how the Mets can improve for next season. Here's the short version of what he said:
- “Hire a really strong, competent, forceful CEO with a widespread understanding of the business, development and people.”
- “Use their market and SNY television network advantage to acquire talent through the draft and the international stage.”
- “Stop worrying about comparisons with the Yankees.”
- Acquire one quality starting pitcher.
- Acquire a young catcher, like D-Back’s C Chris Snyder, Indians C Kelly Shoppach or Rockies C Chris Ianetta.
- Acquire a power bat, either at first base or in the outfield.
- More mustaches.
I think it's going to take a little more imagination than that (new owners? new attitude?)...unless we nail down his last point, that is.
From ESPN via MetsBlog.